[Seaside] Magma

Avi Bryant seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:31:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Glenn Swanlund wrote:

> I've used MinneStore in a PWS application but am now considering using
> Magma with Seaside. Any comments or recommendations?

The last time I looked at Magma, it didn't work properly with multiple
active sessions per image (I generally use a separate database session for
each Seaside session).  Magma's also not yet very
fault tolerant (it's possible to corrupt your data from a power outage,
for example).  If neither of those are a problem for you, it might be a
reasonable way to go; personally, I'd wait for it to mature a bit.

Other options:

- You could check out Stephen Pair's BerkeleyDB plugin, which has a
simple OODB layered on top of it.  Much less transparent than something
like Magma, but as Cees will point out, opacity has its advantages.

- There are a couple of object/relational mapping frameworks around.
Nevin Pratt did a port of GLORP, and there's also Tantalus, which I know
to work well in combination with Seaside and MySQL.

- I have a lot of the work done for a GOODS client, but I've
been putting that on hold until I see what happens with Stephen's
"persistence VM".  GOODS is a very solid public domain object database
that's actually pretty similar to Magma, but faster, more reliable, and
not specifically targeted at Smalltalk.  Unfortunately there's still
probably a weekend or two of work someone would have to do before the
Squeak client is ready, and I never seem to have that weekend free.  I
keep hoping someone will volunteer to do it for me... ;).

Anyone know of anything else?

Avi