[Seaside] Apache integration problem

Colin Putney seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 11:20:04 -0700

On Saturday, September 28, 2002, at 04:54  AM, Cees de Groot wrote:

> Avi Bryant <avi@beta4.com> said:
>> ProxyPass 		/seaside 	http://foo.com:8000/seaside
>> ProxyPassReverse 	/seaside 	http://foo.com:8000/seaside
>>
>> to your httpd.conf (I think those are the right commands, anyway).
>>
> They are the right commands. The showstopper for me is that all
> requests at
> the seaside-side will appear to come from the Apache host, which makes
> custom
> logging, load-balancing-with-ip-based-session-affinity, and all sort of
> similar neat ideas useless.

That's not really a show stopper. A lot of that stuff could be done on
the Apache side. Apache's pretty flexible about logging, for example;
you can structure your log files any way you like, log to a database,
etc.

It'd be pretty easy to do load balancing between Seaside servers using
mod_rewrite. I'd prefer load balancing based on the Seaside session
key, but basing it on IP would possible as well.

On the other hand, if you really need to do it in Seaside, you could
use mod_rewrite to pass the client's IP address (or other information)
to Seaside in the URL.

I also noticed your mention of FastCGI. That would be another good
option for integrating with Apache, if someone found the time to write
an IAConnection for it. I did poke around in Tomas Vanak's
implementation, called FasTalk, but there wasn't a clear line between
the FastCGI stuff and his application server framework, and I didn't
have time to dig deeper. For now, mod_proxy does a goood job.

Cheers,

Colin