[Seaside] [ANN] Seaside-Mysql-0.2.1

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Apr 2 21:53:59 CEST 2003

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Keith P. Hodges wrote:

> I am pleased to present my first seaside2 efforts.

Cool.  Thanks for posting this.

> You will need the mysql 1.10 driver from squeakmap my changeset makes
> some modifications (e.g. adding SHOW TABLES, and SHOW DATABASES)

I had some trouble with this - it seems that JdmError is not in the
changeset, and JdmErrorTable gets removed but is still used in
#handleError:.  I did manage to get it to work, but probably not
"properly".

I also had to add the #formFeedback accessor.

What are you using to manage your code?  Have you looked at
DVS/Monticello?

> Q. I am not sure about how to ensure that the database connection is
> closed after a session.

If the MySQL driver is written properly, it'll close itself when it gets
garbage collected.

> Q. my Session class is only used for default preferences. I think Avi
> was wondering about where to put prefs, does my app demonstrate that
> perhaps session is not the appropriate place for them?
> Q. I am passing around an instance of WAMySqlBottleneck to represent
> the connection, and note this is not stored in the Session, is this
> the right idea?

I would store in the session; that's what the session is there for.  Which
I think answers both of the above questions, in a way.

> Q. I havent looked at what I need to do to support the back button
> etc, most stuff kind of works. Forking a new browser doesnt really -
> what is the way ahead?

I'll answer this one once I've had a change to look at the code more.

Cheers,
Avi