[Seaside] [ANN] Seaside-Mysql-0.2.2

Keith P. Hodges keith.hodges at cheerful.com
Thu Apr 3 07:12:43 CEST 2003

Lets try this again!

Hello All,

I am pleased to present my first seaside2 efforts. It is a simple
MySql database table viewer. I would be very grateful for someone to
review what I have done so far in detail, and I would welcome any
comments on design, interaction, appropriate use of seaside etc. The
plan is to learn seaside, to learn MySql, and to write a simple web
based database viewer and admin tool. I hope this will evolve into a
Module, equivalent to the ZOPE database stuff. I figure that having a
customisable web interface to the backend database admin would be a
win too. These plans are time and income permitting of course. At
this stage I think it is simple enough to be a non-trivial tutorial
example.

You will need the mysql 1.10 driver from squeakmap my changeset makes
some modifications (e.g. adding SHOW TABLES, and SHOW DATABASES)

Non-obvious feature: if you do not supply the database to login to,
it will login to the mysql "test" database and perform a SHOW
DATABASES, from which you can select a database to view.

Q. I am not sure about how to ensure that the database connection is
closed after a session.
Q. my Session class is only used for default preferences. I think Avi
was wondering about where to put prefs, does my app demonstrate that
perhaps session is not the appropriate place for them?
Q. I am passing around an instance of WAMySqlBottleneck to represent
the connection, and note this is not stored in the Session, is this
the right idea?
Q. I havent looked at what I need to do to support the back button
etc, most stuff kind of works. Forking a new browser doesnt really -
what is the way ahead?

feel free to ask any questions, and I am available on AIM, under the
screename SpiritualHelp2, if you would like to chat.

best regards

Keith Hodges-------------- next part --------------
Skipped content of type multipart/appledouble