[Seaside] Unraveling the DOM

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Fri Apr 4 01:04:00 CEST 2003

Avi Bryant wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Keith P. Hodges wrote:
>

>>Avi,
>>
>>I want to render some html to text, not to the DOM. I thought that I
>>could do this by rendering to the DOM and then popping elements off
>>the stack and asking those elements to printOn:  I found this harder
>>than I was expecting.
>>
>>The objective is to have an WAHtmlHidingRenderer which can be used to
>>hide mailto: links or  links that you dont want robots to find.
>

> Well, I don't know what you mean by "hiding" in this context.
[snip]

I believe he means using entities for things like @ in the links to
prevent mail harvesters from finding them.  Someone was proposing that
for Mantis.  Personally, I don't really see the point since if the
harvesters don't catch this yet, they presumably will soon.

And beware that at least in some browsers I've tested, if you right
click on the link to copy the address and then paste it somewhere (like
a CC field, say) you get a pasted version that still has entities in it
:( an email clients don't deal well with that.

Julian