[Seaside] [FIX] SeasideServiceSyncToSeaside2.3

Markus Fritsche Fritsche.Markus at gmx.net
Thu Apr 10 12:22:50 CEST 2003

> Derek Brans wrote:
>> Stephen,
>>
>> Are you planning to do a XML-RPC ServerNG?

Maybe I should port my XML-RPC-Server implementation (as seen on squeakmap)
to comanche ng? I hope I've got time on sunday to have a look at it.

> No plans at the moment, but it's definitely something I'm interested
> in...in fact, it would be interesting to use some of the Seaside
> framework for handling XML-RPC interections (Seaside's component model
> could be leveraged to provide stateful session based RPC interactions
> and as I've found, it's pretty straightforward to use Seaside to
> implement capability based security).  It would be nice to use the same
> framework to provide both end user and system interfaces to an
application.

Then you'll have to add your own extensions, since xml-rpc is stateless.
More can be found on
http://www.xmlrpc.com/spec/

> I have a couple of questions...doesn't SoapOpera give you this
> capability already (I think it was recently modified to work with
> ComancheNG).  Isn't SOAP just a newer revision of XML-RPC?  What are the
> differences?  I haven't played with any of the Smalltalk Web Services
> implementations yet.  Does anyone here have opinions about SoapOpera
> and/or Spray (the Dolphin Web Services implementation)?

Hmm, Dave Winer (the inventor of XML-RPC) helped creating SOAP and, as far
as I know, created XML-RPC the same time as a lightweight alternative. The
consequence is that XML-RPC knows nothing about namespaces, complex data,
objects, state or other transport layers that http.

Regards, Markus

--
SIGSTOP