[Seaside] Meta models

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sat Apr 12 21:34:16 CEST 2003

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> If an EOModel contains all the info you need it would be great if we
> could agree to use that.  What I like about eomodels is that they are
> easy to read, there are tools for editing them graphically, and there
> are now 3 object-relational libs that understand them (glorp, tantalus,
> and of course EOF).

The problem with EOModel, of course, is that it's so heavily geared
towards object/relational mapping - there's no real way to use it to
describe data stored in an OODB, for example.  However, given the large
fraction of web apps that are written against an RDBMS, I think it would
still be very useful to develop some good tools around the EOModel format.

I expect that some interesting and generally useful stuff will come out of
Julian & co.'s work with Aegisthus (the EOModel framework Colin and I
originally wrote for Tantalus).  I'm especially curious to see if we can
integrate Roe (my relational algebra library, which takes a distinctly
different approach to the O/R problem) with EOModel-style mapping, and
will be doing some work with them along these lines.  NeXT style automatic
interface generation (DirectToSeaside?) would be another neat direction to
look at.

Colin and Julian and I should probably talk soon about the what/when/how
of releasing this stuff publically... including possibly changing the name
to something more tractable than Aegisthus ;).

Avi