[Seaside] comanche modules design

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Apr 14 13:41:09 CEST 2003

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Stephen Pair wrote:

> My tendency here is to make the request avaialable as a dynamic binding
> (through 'HttpRequest binding'), do lazy initialization of 'HttpResponse
> binding', and keep the current protocol of #processHttpRequest: (where
> the returned HttpResponse is what gets sent to the client).
>
> Any thoughts?

I like 'HttpSession current' better than 'HttpSession binding' - it
specifies what the method does, not how it's implemented.

But I don't actually see what's wrong with #processHttpRequest:session:.
Just have a default implementation that looks like

processHttpRequest: aRequest session: aSession
  ^ self processHttpRequest: aRequest

then if a module wants to use the session info, it can, otherwise it can
completely ignore it.

My personal preference would be for the dynamic binding stuff to not even
be a prereq for comanche - you can have a DynamicallyBoundModule for those
that want to use it, but in simple cases it's overkill.

Avi