[Seaside] WATree itemStack returning nil

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Apr 28 22:15:27 CEST 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Nevin Pratt wrote:

> And, I've now got a Netscape bookmark that reliably brings up a page
> that when I click on one of the WATree children, the problem occurs (I
> don't know what magic occured to produce the trouble bookmark, because I
> haven't been able to create a second one, but at least I have one now).
>
> But, it looks like this is a problem related with some interaction
> between the WATree and the way Seaside keeps state.  And, the problem
> *might* only occur when a user bookmarks a page and tries to come back
> to it later.

It does sound like it's a problem with the state management.  If that's
what it is, the problem almost certainly only occurs when the user hits
the same URL twice, either by using the backbutton or by bookmarking.

I should point out that the state management changed from
2.2 to 2.3, partly because the 2.2 scheme was somewhat error prone.  So
it's extremely likely that you wouldn't have seen this problem if you'd
kept your 2.3 port (I know, you were seeing other problems - remind me
exactly why you moved back to 2.2?)

At any rate, I'll take a look at WATree under 2.2 later tonight and see if
I can reproduce (and hopefully fix) the problem.  Can you give me any more
details about what patterns of usage seem to cause it?

Avi