[Seaside] Which db with Seaside?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sun Aug 24 14:41:04 CEST 2003

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Giovanni Giorgi wrote:

> Hi all!
> 	I am developing an application with Seaside.
> I'd like to know what Squeak database is suggested in your own opinion
> and experience.
> I have tried Magma, but I cannot get it working in some special
> scenarios. For example Magma seems not supporting nested commits, so I
> cannot do something like:
>
> (...into a callback of componentA...)
> magmaSession commit:[ self call: anotherComponent ].
>
> (...into a callback of anotherComponent...)
> magmaSession commit:[ ...etc... ].

I think you'll find that particular feature is rare; offhand, I can't
think of any database systems for Squeak that support it.

I would recommend OmniBase over Magma, however - it's had more time to
prove its stability.

You might also look at PostgreSQL with either GLORP (for high level
o/r mapping) or Roe (for lower level control).