[Seaside] Bread crumbs

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Mon Aug 25 12:22:23 CEST 2003

Honesly, bread crumbs is a pattern I've been pondering for a while but
haven't come up with a good solution for yet (and I'll need one fairly
soon so some discussion around this would be great).

There are a number of difficulties with implementing breadcrumbs:

- What are we going back to?  Are you rolling back state or is it more
like going back in a wizard where if you went forward the later stuff
would still be filled in?
- How are we going back?  Are we storing a previous continuation and
going back to it or are we going to some new URL that shows the "same"
content (clearing delegates, etc)?
- What pages views actually generate a crumb?  Does every page you see
have one or just certain task sections?  If you're showing a bread crumb
for a page that is asking a question, when the user answers it do you
remove the bread crumb or add a new one?  If we're removing them, how
does the user go back?  If we're adding them, when do we clear the trail?

These are just some of the questions swirling in my mind.  Bread crumbs
work really well for say yahoo or that kind of hierarchical information
system (and maybe that's all you're talking about doing) but, while I
think they'd be pretty useful for other applications, I can't quite
formulate how they'd work or how we should implement them.

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing what others think.  In the words or
Saturday Night Live, talk amongst yourselves, I'll give you a topic:
Bread Crumbs; discuss. :)

(Wow - can't believe I'm gonna leave that reference in... I'm alone at
work today and bored so I guess I need whatever little entertainment I
can find.  Actually bread crumbs are fairly high on my todo list in the
near future so this discussion is a good think to think about today)

Julian