[Seaside] Re: Which db with Seaside?

cg at cdegroot.com cg at cdegroot.com
Tue Aug 26 23:54:52 CEST 2003

Avi Bryant  <seaside at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>True, although I can imagine some applications where you don't want to
>throw away any data, ever, and that wouldn't be so bad.  Also, I bet
>it would be fairly easy to write a "compress" routine that basically
>copied from one DB to another, which you could run every week or so...
>this might eliminate the need for GC.  I wonder if David would consider
>this "cheating"?

Probably :-).

In any case, we run OmniBase - have been in production with it for
almost two years now - doing 10-20 transactions per second on average,
24x7. Disk prices come down faster than my urge to do a GC rises, I
maybe run one twice a year, and only then because I'm too lazy to
extend partitions or something like that. So I wouldn't call it too
big a handycap.

>I've never used it in production.  I've also grown somewhat wary (and
>weary) of that brand of O/R mapping (well, really of O/R mapping in
>general).  But as these things go it seems pretty good.

Exactly the right statement and sentiment - as O/R tools go, Glorp is
ok.

However, you must be prepared to dive into it. First, it is not
documented very well, second, it has bugs&quirks that you must be
prepared to hack away.

Personally, I decided on the persistence mechanism called 'Smalltalk
saveSession' once an hour for my projects, certainly until they
stabilize enough to let me bother about persistence. By that time, I
will probably choose OmniBase for it.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo