[Seaside] Seaside and other language than english

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Fri Dec 12 06:34:27 CET 2003

raymondasselin at sympatico.ca wrote:
> Julian whrote
>
>>This is the problem with changing #text: to do encoding by default.
>>I've argued for quite some time that #text: needs to do encoding and
>>that we need #rawText: or #html: or #markup: that you can use in the
>>rare cases where you don't want the encoding.  #encodeText: is just far
>>too long and obscure sounding for the default interface.  The problem,
>>as you've discovered is backwards compatibility - all kinds of code
>>already outputs entities and html tags using the #text: method.
>

> Does I must understand that if we do encoding in Seaside we don't need to
> set the encoding of the Browser we use ?  And that doing this we have problem with non
> breaking spaces because these were encoded instead of using #rawText: for them (I
> understood that #rawText: is a suggestion) ?

Well, as long as the characters you are using have HTML entities
associated with them Seaside can (though at the moment you have to tell
it explicitly to do so, using #encodeText:) replace the characters with
their entities.  So é becomes é, etc.

If we were to change #text: to do this encoding, then cases where code
is using #text: to output '&nbsp;' or '<b>foo</b>' would no longer work
because the &, <, and > would get replaces with entities.

Julian