[Seaside] SqP - Design question

Cees de Groot cg at theinternetone.net
Tue Dec 16 23:17:30 CET 2003

Hi,

After trying with HV2 I decided that it didn't fit my needs (it needs
work, quite a bit of work), so I'm currently experimenting with Seaside
for SqP. However, there's one little question I have as I have never
created an app like this: how to structure the application?

Clearly, the front page is a sort of, well, front page component. All
the links on it are links that I'd like to be in accordance with REST
principles, so that when users visit them they get something in their
location bar that's bookmarkable (the ability to have 'friendly' links
was what lead me to try HV2 first).

At the moment I have a front page component that directly renders all
the contents, with exception for the article entries which are rendered
by embedding article view components. Say that the application url is
/seaside/sqp/front, then I'd like the article 'Read more' links to point
to something /seaside/sqp/article/<number>, and similarly for the
account links, diary entries, etcetera. However, I fear that a) I'll
have to do dirty URL hacking for this, and b) that this will force a new
session, lots of applications to be maintained in /seaside/config,
etcetera.

What's the cleanest way to structure this? Use Session>>addToPath: and
parse URL's somewhere?

Seems that I'm having a bit of trouble with multiple components, so
example code would be most welcome :-)

Regards,

Cees