[Seaside] SqP - Design question

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Dec 17 10:20:01 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 09:58, Julian Fitzell wrote:
> BUT, I am basically on holidays now, so I am more than happy to pull up
> the SBlogLite code and have a look at it, or to have a look at your
> stuff, Cees - I certainly have a pretty good idea what is considered
> "Good Seaside Design".  I'm off to bed now but if you want to send me
> anything to look at or chat on email or IRC or something tomorrow, let
> me know.

The major issue is the overall 'componentizing'. If you look at SqP
(easy when you're duplicating a running website ;-)), you have a top
that is relatively static (I'm planning to keep it a fixed element in
the new site), then two columns with various components: an article
overview, some text boxes, and two lists (most recent diary entries and
most recent accounts).

The major question at the moment is how to do the flow control (it's the
hardest bit about Seaside, I think mostly because there's so much to
unlearn). I can see there's an outer frame (with the top navbar), which
holds some configuration of subcomponents. The problem I'm having is
that some of the links have non-local effects - if you click on a diary
entry, everything below the navbar gets replaced with one single new
component. I'm mostly wondering how you can/should do that without too
much coupling between the components...