[Seaside] SqP - Design question

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Thu Dec 18 09:35:34 CET 2003

Cees de Groot wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 09:58, Julian Fitzell wrote:
>
>>I'm off to bed now but if you want to send me
>>anything to look at or chat on email or IRC or something tomorrow, let
>>me know.
>>

> You'd do me a great favour if you could download the latest SqP code
> (see my SqP diary for details) and comment on the design - I think I
> have a workable overall structure, but as it is still young and
> malleable, early comments are quite welcome...

Looks pretty reasonable.  Your overall structure seems pretty much right
on.  I made a few fixes and a few changes to bring it a little more in
line with how I would factor it.  You're welcome to use or not use
whatever parts of it you see fit.  They're in beta4's MC repos at
http://beta4.com/mc/sqp.

I tried to make small commits with decent comments so it each should be
easily understandable I think.  But shout if anything is unclear.

Take or leave what you will.

General notes:

- the profile.xml files are invalid - I had to add a / before the
closing > in all the <auth> tags
- calling "self session" instead of "SqpSeaSession currentSession" is
preferred.  It's possible that the context hack may not always be used
to look that up.  As long as you are calling #session on the component,
we'll find some way to make that work in whatever the current scheme is.
- #standardSeaLinkOn: seems problematic, mostly because it depends on
#currentSession above.  I think it would be better to pass in the
session, or a block, or something.  Or, my preference would be... eh,
I'll just refactor it how I'd do it an commit the version. :)  Might
just be a difference of opinion <shrug>
- I wonder whether the sidebars should be in components?  Might not be
necessary - but I think I'd like them to stay around even when you drill
down deeper..?

On IRC at the moment - off to bed soonish.

Cheers,

Julian