[Seaside] RSS and Seaside

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Fri Dec 26 13:44:29 CET 2003

Cees de Groot wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-12-25 at 20:52, Nevin Pratt wrote:
>

>>Could an RSS feed potentially be a solution for Seaside's unfriendliness towards spiders?
>>

>Janus is my shot at a solution. It seems to works fine, my Seaside site
>has shot up in traffic and search engine presence over the last months
>(from basically nothing to currently 160 visitors/day).

Hmm, I'm getting more visitors a day than that, from basically nothing
at the end of April 2003.  So, to be honest Cees, I'm not sure if that
indicates it is helping or not.  But I agree it looks like it _should_
help (I downloaded Janus and installed it on a dev box, where I'm
looking at it now).

With my site, the URL will always be:

http://www.bountifulbaby.com/seaside/index/{all the Seaside gobble-de-goop}

With my site, all rendered components are swapped in and out dynamically
at runtime, and the base URL never changes.  The base URL is always:

http://www.bountifulbaby.com/seaside/index/

Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't seem to fit with what Janus
is expecting, because this looks like it will cause the same static page
from the static page cache to always be returned.

Hmm, or maybe not, because I suppose I could have the first static page
contain links whose base URL's are something other than the above, which
would then allow it to map into the other static pages.

It looks like the biggest issue then would probably be the creation of
the static page content for the static page cache, and keeping those
pages reasonably in sync with the actual site.  That looks like a
non-trivial problem, too.

I need to look at it some more.

Nevin

--