[Seaside] WAValueView's

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Feb 4 15:02:51 CET 2003

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Derek Brans wrote:

> Avi, Julian,
>
> I thought that WATextInput and other value views were useful.  In order
> to do a similar thing with the renderer it's quite verbose:
>
> html attribute at: 'size' put: 30.
> html textAreaWithValue: value.
> callback: [:v | self model perform: (self getterSelectorFor: selector)
> withArguments: v].

Derek,

Personally my code tends to look like

html textAreaOn: selector of: model.

If I need to change the size I do it in css.  Using the above method, the
textarea will have the selector as its css id; if you want to give it a
class instead, just put

html cssClass: '...'.

directly before it.

> Also, why have you kept WAValueView around but removed all its subclasses?

My current feeling is that view classes for low level elements like form
fields are not worthwhile, and that such things are better encoded as
methods on Renderer.  Not everyone agrees with me; I know Colin Putney is
working on a View system that ignores Renderer altogether.  Since the
ValueView classes were never anywhere near finished, and I wasn't
interested in maintaining them, I removed them.  You can always dredge
them out of CVS and maintain them yourself if you like.

Cheers,
Avi