[Seaside] Problem getting render methods to be functional

Derek Brans brans at nerdonawire.com
Tue Feb 4 18:26:32 CET 2003

Avi, Julian,

I'm wondering what can or should not be done in a render method.
Creation of components I gather are out.  What other sorts of things
constitute "important side effects"?

Suppose a component only finds out about some fact at render time.  And
that fact affects the type of sub components it renders.  How can this
be done functionally?

Here's an example: I have a main component that holds a tabComponent.
Depending on the user permissions, the tabComponent displays or hides
different tabs.

The change in user happens somewhere else in the application so my
component couldn't know about it until render time.  At the beginning of
my render method in the main component, I detect a change in user and
create a fresh tabComp (based on the user's permissions).  That's giving
me problems related to lazy initialization as before.

it's probably just the way I'm looking at the problem.  I would
appreciate any ideas.

Thank you,
Derek

Nerd on a Wire: Web and Information Solutions
Website Design - Database Systems - Site Hosting
604.874.6463
mailto:info at nerdonawire.com
For more information, visit http://nerdonawire.com