[Seaside] Hopelessly stupid newbie question

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Tue Feb 25 19:18:45 CET 2003

Avi Bryant wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Randy Siler wrote:
>

>>(Do you always dynamically generate the forms from seaside?)
>>

>Yes.
>

>>Am I right about this? Should I be using something else if I just want
>>a simple form cgi in Squeak?
>>

>If what you really want is a simple CGI, then yes.  Just implement a
>Comanche module directly.

As I see it, Seaside allows you to build web apps in the same style as
classic client/server apps (like you would do with the Canvas tool in
VW, or WindowBuilder in VA, etc.), but with one glaring exception:
 Seaside doesn't easily accommodate a GUI-painter.

Sounds like he wants both of those (client/server style web development,
like Seaside can do, plus a GUI painter).

I don't think he wants just cgi-style web apps to a Comanche module.

In an earlier version of Seaside, I experimented with using Dreamweaver
as the GUI-painter, and then wiring those screens into Seaside
afterwards.  I actually had something that seemed to work OK, but have
no idea how easy it would be to get it working in Seaside 2.x.  Plus, I
never documented it.

Nevin