[Seaside] REST, bookmarkable URL's (and authentication)

Cees de Groot seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
2 Jan 2003 18:33:42 +0100

Stephen Pair <spair@acm.org> said:
>This sounds so easy, there must be something wrong with it but I can't
>think of anything at the moment.

Well, thanks. ;-)

><authentication>
>The other thing I'd like to solve is the authentication issue...is there
>a simple way to provide automated interfaces (such as wget) the ability
>to authenticate a user such that wget can access resources that cannot
>be accessed anonymously?

HTTP Basic Auth is supported by most tools. Wget has the --http-user and
--http-passwd options.

I think that Basic Auth should be supported for tools. For users, you probably
want to provide your own friendly login page with 'I forgot my password'
etcetera. The idea probably is to read and accept HTTP Basic Auth headers and
redirect to the login page if it ain't there and the app wants a login.

In all cases, this stuff *should* travel via HTTPS but most people don't
really care if it's not extremely important...

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg@cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo