FW: [Seaside] Seaside + SSP

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Jan 17 17:32:18 CET 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Stephen Pair wrote:

> Which would generate bytecodes to the effect of:
>
> ----
> renderContentsOn: renderer
>
> renderer renderingOn: self with: [
>   renderer renderTag: 'p' contents: [
>     renderer renderText: 'My name is: '.
>     renderer renderTag: 'span' attributes: {'macro'->'className')
> contents: [
>       renderer renderText: 'Foo'.
>     ].
>   ].
>   renderer renderTag: 'p' contents: [
>     renderer renderText: 'My name is: '.
>     renderer evaluateAndOutput: [self class name].
>   ].
>   renderer evaluate: [instvar := 'some side effect value'].
> ].
> ----
> So, the renderer could directly generate HTML, or it could build a parse
> tree.  For externally or user defined code, we would disallow or ignore
> the evaluate (smalltalk code) nodes (the parser would simply ignore the
> "<%" tags).

Stephen, if you're actually implementing this, you may find Julian's
HTML-Parser package useful.  Also, in the 2.2 release under
Seaside/Alpha-Rendering there's some early support for a parse-tree
building renderer, but I make no promises about anything in the "Alpha"
categories.  Anyway, it would be nice to see some templating ideas start
to come together... I've been studiously avoiding putting any thought into
that side of things, so it's good that you and Colin are picking up the
slack :).

Cheers,
Avi