[Seaside] VW Port

Pennell, David DPennell at quallaby.com
Fri Jul 18 10:02:13 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 16:55, Derek Brans wrote:
> Don't think so....   Smalltalk Solutions is this month so maybe everyone's
> over there.

Avi and several other Seasider's were at the conference. Avi and Julian ran
a tutorial on Seaside
(http://www.smalltalksolutions.com/schedule/presentations.htm#Bryant0).

While at the show, I finally published a VisualWorks port of the latest
Seaside snapshot to the Cincom public repository.  )I suppose it would help
if I actually told somebody about it :)

There are 2 bundles to load in the following order:
- Seaside-WebToolKit contains a package each for VW support classes, Squeak
extensions and
  support for using the WebToolKit as the HTTP framework.  If somebody wants
to add support
  for a different HTTP framework (e.g. Swazoo), I would expect to see a new
bundle that
  references the same core and Squeak compatibility packages.
  Note:  The Squeak support package provides consists of entire Squeak
classes and Squeak
  extensions to VW classes that are lifted directly from Squeak.  Use of
this package would
  seem to imply dependency on the Squeak license.  I would prefer to
eliminate this license
  entanglement, but its not a high priority for me at the moment.
- Seaside contains all of the packages provided in Avi's snapshot.  Avi is
now able to
  provide snapshots in VW's XML source format with package information so it
should be
  possible to keep the VW port synchronized with the Squeak version.  This
bundle still
  complains about undeclared far too much for my tastes, but it will load
and run.

After loading the bundles, look at AAADocumentation>>settingThingsUp for
some instructions on configuring WebToolKit/VisualWave for running Seaside.

I would like to thank Cees de Groot for producing the original Seaside 1.x
port.  His work provided an invaluable launching point for this version.

I would also like to thank Avi for his efforts in supporting this port.

Regards,
David