[Seaside] Secure Connection?

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Wed Jun 4 14:45:30 CEST 2003

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  Thank you for everyone.  I kind of want to stay away from running
>'two HTTP servers,' so I guess I'm going to use either DeleGate or
>stunnel.
>
>  Nevin, I forgot to mention, but I am using PostgreSQL and GLORP
>(thank you, and everyone who makes it!)
>
>  I'm going to ask a question about GLORP and PostgreSQL in the next
>email...
>
>-- Yoshiki

My use of GLORP right now is very trivial.  I'm currently using an "all
in the image" approach, so the GLORP use is pretty much limited to
initially loading up the image from the database. It will also push data
back into the database from the image (effectively "snapshotting" the
image data).

Thus, right now, GLORP is only used for bulk loading and bulk saving.
That's all.

It turns out that if all I do is bulk loading and bulk saving (for an
"all in the image" approach during runtime), all I needed was a couple
of #read methods to bulk load, and a couple of #write methods to bulk
save.  Thus, really only a few methods (four, if I remember correctly,
aside from the descriptor system stuff) needed to be written. And most
of GLORP isn't even used.  The reading does use the descriptor system
stuff so that complete objects are automatically read.  But still, it's
quite simple, and effective.

Have you considered such a simple "all in the image" architecture?

I don't believe I would use such an "all in the image" approach for
client-based applications, where a Squeak image had to be distributed to
each client.  But, for a web-based server image, I think it works great.
 And it performs really well, because during runtime there's no need for
constantly hitting the database.

And it keeps the GLORP code extremely simple-- simple enough that
eventually you start to forget internal GLORP details. :-)

In other words, if you have internal GLORP questions, I suggest you post
to the GLORP mailing list.  It's at:
     glorp-development at lists.sourceforge.net

Nevin

P.S. I do intend on enhancing the site, to ever-greater proportions, and
ever-greater use of GLORP.  But I'll probably always have a significant
amount of "all in the image" philosophy for a web-based server image.

--
Nevin Pratt
Bountiful Baby