[Seaside] design documentation for seaside2

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Jun 6 03:27:42 CEST 2003

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Paul Mitchell-Gears wrote:

> i really like lots of the ideas. having read the (partial) design overview
> for seaside 1 at http://beta4.com/seaside/design.html, i wonder: is there
> any such design overview for seaside2? also, a lot has changed, and it is
> interesting for me to see the evolution between the versions. some of the
> design decisions in v1 seem very good -- i am curious to know the rationale
> for the changes for v2?

I'm more than happy to go into this in greater detail later, but for now
let me just say that a big part of the design change between v1 and v2 was
the introduction of much stricter layering.  Pre v2 (and to a lesser
extent, pre v2.3), Seaside was a very tightly coupled framework - each
feature was heavily dependent on each other feature, which made evolution
very difficult.

There was also a conscious effort in v2 to reduce the amount of "magic"
involved, and concentrate on making better use of standard Smalltalk
abstraction mechanisms (the move from the old bindings system to the use
of blocks as callbacks is a good example of this).

What were the parts of v1 that you liked, that didn't get
carried over to v2?

> perhaps i should just mine the archive of this list more thoroughly :)
> please redirect me if most of what i want to know is already written
> somewhere!

Looking back through the list for discussions of "Borges" (the working
title for v2) might be interesting.  There isn't, however, any current or
complete (and certainly not current *and* complete) design overview.  I'm
going to be away from the computer this weekend, but if you bug me about
it next week I'll write something up.

Avi