[Seaside] Interaction with non-Seaside site

Derek Brans brans at nerdonawire.com
Thu Jun 12 11:11:46 CEST 2003

Avi and Julian,

Suppose your Seaside site user interaction goes something like this:
1. Choose your product
2. Pay
3. Process the sale

Now suppose you want step 2 (Pay)  to take place on Verisign's site.

It would be nice if I could model this using the component call: mechanism already in place.  eg, I would call WAPaymentStep which would forward the user to the Verisign site and answer a PaymentResponse upon "returning" from Verisign's site.

There are two parts to this problem:
1. Sending them to the payment site and
2. receiving them back to Seaside after payment.

1. This part is easy: WAPaymentStep presents a form to the user that upon submission posts the necessary variables to the payment site.

2. This is the hard part.  Here's my plan so far...
WAPaymentStep needs to register a callback that would
a) process the POST from Verisign site (their response) and create a PaymentResponse object
b) return the Payment Response using #answer:.

What I would like is:
Example code on how to register an arbitrary callback block.
Does such a callback have access to POST variables?  If not, can you suggest another way to get posted variables into a smalltalk object which gets "returned" using #answer: ?

I can imagine another Seaside service called "VerisignService" who's job it is to accept responses from Verisign and leave an appropriate PaymentResponse in a "mailbox" to be picked up by WAPaymentStep.  VerisignService then calls some continuation to "wake up" the WAPaymentStep, which "checks its mail" and returns the PaymentResponse using #answer: .

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Derek Brans
Nerd on a Wire