[Seaside] anchors behaving like buttons?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Jun 13 18:16:48 CEST 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Nevin Pratt wrote:

> I've just updated our site to the latest SqueakMap version of Seaside.
>
> However, the scheme I wrote about below no longer works for targeting
> different entry points into the app.
>
> For example, if the browser URL is:
>    http://localhost/seaside/foo/red
> then the 'path' variable in step #4 should return '/seaside/foo/red', so
> that I can invoke the #red method on the 'foo' component as explained in
> step #4.
>
> But with this release, 'path := self session path' in step #4 just
> returns '/seaside/foo'.  Thus, I have no idea what method of the 'foo'
> component the URL intends to invoke.

How to handle complex URLs (which is, in my mind, related to how to enable
bookmarking) is something I'm still not sure I've completely figured out,
so I apologize that it keeps changing.  Nevin, thanks for keeping doggedly
on the bleeding edge.

However, the Wiki example does something similar (you can hit
/seaside/wiki/SomePageName), and I keep it up to date, so it's a good
place to look to figure out what the current approach is.

Currently the idea is to override
WAControllerSession>>createRootFromRequest:.  By default this creates a
new instance of whatever class is set as the entryPoint preference, but
you can examine the request and make a different choice if you need to.

Does that help?

Avi