[Seaside] Convincing Web Application shops to use seaside

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sat Jun 14 12:15:55 CEST 2003

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Keith P. Hodges wrote:

> I am not saying we are at that stage yet, but will there come a time
> soon when we have a "standard" Squeak Image for developing web
> applications - stripped of eToys and Alice in Wonderland etc etc and
> loaded with database drivers, commanche, OSProcess, soap, xml,
> object serialisation etc etc. Something we could genuinely had over
> to a "design shop" and say "developing web applications is easy with
> this".
>
> thoughts anyone

Sure, I've always pictured things going that way - the expansion of
SEASIDE is the Squeak Enterprise Aubergines Server Integrated Development
Environment, and to me that implies exactly what you're describing: a
squeak image loaded with enterprise tools and tweaked for web development.

I do wonder if there's any chance of convincing shops to use Seaside that
aren't already Smalltalk friendly, however... seems somewhat unlikely.

Avi