[Seaside] Convincing Web Application shops to use seaside

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Sat Jun 14 12:50:25 CEST 2003

Keith P. Hodges wrote:

> All,
>
> I have started a wiki page called "Promoting Seaside"
> http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/sea/88
> the idea being to promote the whole squeak-commanche-seaside package
> to be adopted in commercial web application environments.
>
> For example - we know that squeak runs on all platforms, but others
> looking at seaside for the first time do not.
>
> I am not saying we are at that stage yet, but will there come a time
> soon when we have a "standard" Squeak Image for developing web
> applications - stripped of eToys and Alice in Wonderland etc etc and
> loaded with database drivers, commanche, OSProcess, soap, xml, object
> serialisation etc etc. Something we could genuinely had over to a
> "design shop" and say "developing web applications is easy with this".
>
> thoughts anyone
>
> Keith

Tool selection seems to always be a political decision in companies
(commonly decided by mid-managers), rather than a technical one (decided
by someone--anyone--with a genuine tech background).

But to help the politics:

Obviously the portability of Squeak across hardware is a plus.

But another thing that I think many corporate types would view as
important is the fact that the Seaside framework itself is available on
multiple dialects.  They will perceive this as reducing their risk
(although I personally just care about the Squeak port).

Our Bountiful Baby site can also be used as an example of a commercial
Seaside site.  I'd like to see others listed as well.

--
Nevin Pratt
Bountiful Baby