[Seaside] Convincing Web Application shops to use seaside

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Sat Jun 14 12:57:46 CEST 2003

Keith P. Hodges wrote:
> All,
>
> I have started a wiki page called "Promoting Seaside"
> http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/sea/88
> the idea being to promote the whole squeak-commanche-seaside package to
> be adopted in commercial web application environments.
>
> For example - we know that squeak runs on all platforms, but others
> looking at seaside for the first time do not.
>
> I am not saying we are at that stage yet, but will there come a time
> soon when we have a "standard" Squeak Image for developing web
> applications - stripped of eToys and Alice in Wonderland etc etc and
> loaded with database drivers, commanche, OSProcess, soap, xml, object
> serialisation etc etc. Something we could genuinely had over to a
> "design shop" and say "developing web applications is easy with this".

Absolutely.  This is definitely within the vision of the attempts to
strip down the base image and provide customized images for various
purposes.  The job will get easier as the base image becomes smaller,
but I don't think there's anything stopping someone from producing such
an image now... it would just take a little more effort.

But I suspect Seaside has a little ways to go before it will be adopted
at such a scale :)  We need to, for example, address issues of and find
solutions for scalibility, redundancy, designer/developer interaction, etc

Julian

julian at beta4.com
Beta4 Productions (http://www.beta4.com)