[Seaside] Convincing Web Application shops to use seaside

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Sat Jun 14 14:00:11 CEST 2003

Avi Bryant wrote:

>I do wonder if there's any chance of convincing shops to use Seaside that
>aren't already Smalltalk friendly, however... seems somewhat unlikely.

Well, consider that IBM sold VisualAge Generator to mainframe folks
without really telling them it was Smalltalk. VisualAge Generator is (as
I understand) the same basic idea that Keith mentioned-- it's a
framework built on VisualAge for Smalltalk, targeted for CICS "4GL"
mainframe development. Here's their product blurb:

"IBM VisualAge® Generator is a powerful high-end, rapid application
development environment for building and deploying e-business
applications. Developers with little or no Java™ expertise can implement
end-to-end Java e-business systems. OO and Java developers can implement
systems running on traditional transactional platforms, such as CICS® or
IMS, and accessing legacy data, such as DL/I or VSAM, with no need to
become mainframe experts."

In fact, check their detailed product description at this link:

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/awdtools/visgen/

They don't mention "Smalltalk" anywhere.

And yet VisualAge Generator includes a full copy of VisualAge Smalltalk.
VisualAge Generator is just a framework within it. And a VA/G license
includes a full VA/S license (last time I checked, the cost of VA/G was
about 50% more than the cost of VA/S, because of the extra framework of
classes included).

And I understand quite a few VA/G license have been sold.

So, if we create and bundle a Seaside framework as Keith mentions, you
never know what might transpire :-)

Nevin

--
Nevin Pratt