[Seaside] Convincing Web Application shops to use seaside

Germán S. Arduino gsa at softhome.net
Sun Jun 15 15:17:25 CEST 2003

Hi Folks:

> Sure, I've always pictured things going that way - the expansion of
> SEASIDE is the Squeak Enterprise Aubergines Server Integrated Development
> Environment, and to me that implies exactly what you're describing: a
> squeak image loaded with enterprise tools and tweaked for web development.

OK, I agree, full agree, but I think also that the development of Squeak as
a platform to continue expanding the frontiers of the software developmente
must be maintained. Then, there would be an easy mode to transform a Squeak
image in a "Seaside Web Production image" or in a "multimedia development
image" or any another combination that the user (developer) need. Seems that
the package system is on the way, but isn't sufficient yet. Seems that an a
superior level of configuration is needed, that delimite the profile and
target of the image to obtain.

> I do wonder if there's any chance of convincing shops to use Seaside that
> aren't already Smalltalk friendly, however... seems somewhat unlikely.

One additional thing to take in account is the web hosting of the Seaside
apps. If in a common Linux Server it's possible to host php or perl apps
until quantities of 100-200 sites with good performance, with Seaside,
running Squeak in a headless mode, a minimun of 32 MB ram must be assigned
to each VM. Than means only 32 sites in a 1GB Server. I think that this is a
main problem to solve to sell Seaside apps widely. Obviously that don't
apply in a private Intranet or a private server.

But, to end, I agree in put all the possible info about commercial and
"serious" use of Seaside as web development tool in a web site. Samples of
working apps is also a good thing to take in account, as more detailed
tutorials about development of Seaside apps.

Regards.

---
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.dimensiono.com