[Seaside] Convincing Web Application shops to use seaside

Germán S. Arduino gsa at softhome.net
Sun Jun 15 21:56:57 CEST 2003

Hi Andreas:

> I don't know about the requirements of Seaside itself but the above sounds
> pretty bogus to me. First of all, you should not consider an
out-of-the-box
> Squeak+Seaside to be a Seaside production image. A *little* work on your
end
> is to be expected and this work should probably include doing a little
> shrinking. Even with the most rudimentary methods you should be able to
> trivially get down to 16MB.

> Secondly, IIRC, then Ian's latest VMs support dynamically growing and
> shrinking memory. In effect that means your SeaSide image will only
consume
> as much memory as it really needs (modulo a bit of headroom which can be
> customized too). That means the initial requirement is just that of
> the image which, for a SeaSide production image, I would expect to be
> definitely less than 8MB.

Would be very useful for me know how to get that small "seaside production
image".

I've tried in one of the servers that I've to sell hosting and really 32MB
was a minimun to several tasks, I've tried with Red Hat 7.3 and Squeak VM
3.4-1, but also take in account that myself aren't an expert in things as
"shrinking".

> Thirdly, there is swap space which you can throw at it. Most OSes these
days
> make pretty good use of it so your division is a rather random guess
> considering that there are tons of objects in a "typical" Squeak image
which
> can be swapped out without any negative side effects whatsoever.

> All in all, I would claim that your stated "requirements" might be true -
> but only for an overly naive use of SeaSide in a production environment.
If
> you just put your mind to it a little, you should be able to get
> *drastically* below that.

ok, you are right if a "production seaside image" may be managed with 8MB
assigned to VM, then could by possible to host more than 100 sites in a
server, making prices competitives with common hosting plans.

> PS. For marketing SeaSide it might be worthwhile to have a set of
> step-by-step instruction for how to make that "SeaSide production image"
> work.

Yes, I full agree. I'm trying (as a learning project) to develop a simple
weblog system using Seaside and the instructions to get a small "SeaSide
production image" would be very useful for me.

Regards.

---
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.dimensiono.com