[Seaside] Convincing Web Application shops to use seaside

Germán S. Arduino gsa at softhome.net
Sun Jun 15 22:06:41 CEST 2003

Hi Avi:

> Well, that's not necessarily true.  It should be possible to get the
> overhead for a Seaside image and vm down to 2 or 3 MB without too much
> trouble.  So in theory you could have a few hundred images running on the
> same server.

Where I can find one of this small images that can run Comanche+Seaside?

> However, Seaside sessions are indeed quite memory hungry themselves
> (particularly because the implementation of Continuation is not
> optimized... you end up with a lot of extra MethodContexts kicking
> around), and so in practice even if you start with a 2MB image you'll
> easily get back up to 32MB once you have 100 concurrent sessions or so.
>

> Keeping the memory footprint down is definitely something I need to work
> on (and there's lots of relatively low hanging fruit), but the fact is
> that Seaside is always going to burn more resources than a mod_perl site -
> that's the price you pay for abstraction.

OK, I understand. But ever one wants more ;-), Then, having Seaside, would
be very good to have the resource demands as low as possible.

> I think it's more useful to
> compare it to something like a Tomcat installation... good luck getting
> 200 or 300 servlet containers running on the same box.

Definitely Tomcat, Java and Servlets are things that I don't likes :-).

Regards.

---
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.dimensionO.com