[Seaside] using inheritance to describe look'n'feel

Paul Mitchell-Gears paul.mitchell-gears at digitalbrain.com
Mon Jun 16 18:25:53 CEST 2003

Hi

A question about OO design:

Class WADialog gives you basic Dialog behaviour. It seems to me that I might
like to subclass this in two orthogonal directions: either (1) to give
different look'n'feels, ie by overriding #renderContentOn, or (2) to give
extra behaviour on top of the standard Dialog (ie build something more
complex, that also IS-A Dialog).

I have the feeling that (2) is the 'real' inheritance tree here. Which
suggests to me that perhaps the variation allowed by (1), which is also
necessary, should be modelled by delegation rather than inheritance.

But what would this look like? It might look like a separate View class per
Controller. But I seem to remember reading somewhere on this list that you
deliberately decided to merge the V and C of MVC into seaside's 'Component'
concept.

Does this chime with anyone else? Or am I just missing something. I'm still
getting my head around how the framework hangs together (too little
CopiousSpareTime :)!)

thanks!
pmg

Paul Mitchell-Gears
www.digitalbrain.com

 -- Some men are born mediocre, some achieve mediocrity, and some have
mediocrity thrust upon them.