[Seaside] escaped html

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Fri Jun 20 17:45:29 CEST 2003

Avi Bryant wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:
>

>>Yes, thats what I mean.  I didn't see any encodedText:, and a grep on
>>seaside2.3b2.st doesn't give out anything..
>

> I believe it's #encodeText:.
>

>>Hm.. now I know i shouldnt be posting past 0h with no caffeine in the
>>system.., but I don't get why would the text: in #nachorWithAction: be
>>commonly used to write raw HTML.  Its something like:
>>
>>	self openAnchorWithAction: anActionBlock. "<a href=..>"
>>	self text: aText.
>>	self close. "</a>"
>>
>>I do see its usefulness, but I'd say encoding the text would be orders
>>of magnitude more common.  Of course maybe in some other similar
>>methods it'd be the other way..
>

> Yes, but I think it's important to be consistent.  I don't really care
> which approach we take, but I don't want to have to remember for each
> method whether it encodes the text or not.  As it is, I know that if I
> ever want the text encoded, I have to manually specify that.  Would people
> rather that encoding the text was the default?

Well, I do think it's nice not to have to worry about encoding text all
the time, since it really should always be encoded when it isn't raw
html content.  The tricky part is that you can use one method for both
currently; if it encodes the text you really can't use it for raw stuff
at all.  And I don't want to have to create two versions of all the
methods...  sigh.

No solution; just my thoughts.

Julian