[Seaside] Getting started

Tim Mansfield timbomb at timbomb.net
Sat Jun 21 11:10:57 CEST 2003

Julian wrote:
>If you have any recent Squeak image, you should be able to click on the
>desktop to get the world menu, then choose Open, and then Package
>Loader.  From there you should be able to find Comanche 5.x and install it
>by right clicking on the package and choosing Install.
>You can also install the latest Seaside this way. The tutorial,
>unfortunately, is a little out of date at the moment.

So given that I encountered the same problems getting started, could I
suggest a couple of small edits?

The problem is that the beta4.com site seems like an authoritative source
for information, since it's Julian and Avi's site, but since you guys are
so busy coding it's not...

This isn't a big deal as long as it's clear. Do you think there might be
some value in adding some text in bold, red or something to this page
(http://beta4.com/seaside2/tutorial.html) that says:

"We've been so busy building seaside, we haven't had time to keep the
tutorial up to date. If you have trouble getting started please join the
mail list at: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/listinfo/seaside"

and then replacing the bullet point:

"The Comanche webserver for Squeak.    A changeset for version 5.0 is
available from http://fce.cc.gatech.edu/~bolot/kom/kom-5-0.02May1824.cs.gz."

with what you just wrote:

"If you have any recent Squeak image, you should be able to click on the
desktop to get the world menu, then choose Open, and then Package
Loader.  From there you should be able to find Comanche 5.x and install it
by right clicking on the package and choosing Install."

Just an idea that might help signpost these well-trod paths a little better :-)

Tim