[Seaside] using inheritance to describe look'n'feel

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Jun 26 22:26:50 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 22:12, Avi Bryant wrote:
> Anyone else have thoughts here?

I'm quite succesful in our own web framework (older than Seaside, but
we're slowly refactoring towards Seaside so one of the things that's
almost the same is HTML generation) by plugging HTMLLookPolicy classes
into the HTML generator.

Most of the 'hard' work is delegated to the current look policy by the
generator class. For example, our default look policy generates tab
controls by using tables and borders; but if you go to
http://webmail.444.net/ you see the same tab controls generated using
another policy (sorry, don't have a ready-to-click link for the
'default' look).

Exactly what the generator delegates to the look policy is determined by
thinking up more look policies and refactoring ;-)

We are very pleased with the end result. Most of the look is moved into
a single place, and we're not constrained by CSS (esp. CSS+browser
compatibility concerns me).

--
Disclaimer: all Dutchmen are liars