[Seaside] Getting started

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Mar 3 20:53:27 CET 2003

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Brian Brown wrote:

> Hello!
>
> As a disclaimer... I'm new to smalltalk, new to squeak but do have tons
> of web programming experience on multiple platforms... I do understand
> that I can throw all the out and use seaside/Komache :)

Welcome!

> ... which is what I want to do. I would like to start out simple and
> port a mostly-static-except-for-menus web site into seaside so I can
> get an idea of how to work in this framework.

Just a quick note - "mostly static" sites is not what Seaside is geared
towards; you may find it awkward to have large amounts of static content
in a Seaside app.

> I have read what I found
> and know that I should inherit from WAComponent (IAComponent?)

IAComponent was a class in the old (0.9x) versions of Seaside.
WAComponent is the equivalent in the current versions.

> but am
> at a loss as to how I would get my classes to show up from a Url

The simple answer to that is,

MyComponentClass registerAsApplication: 'somename'.

That component will now show up at http://localhost:9090/seaside/somename
(assuming 9090 is the port you started seaside on).

> as well as how the model is practically programmed.

Have you worked through the tutorial, and looked at the examples?  These
should give you some idea.  If you have more specific questions that
the tutorial doesn't answer, however, please ask.

Avi