[Seaside] presentation/logic separation XMLC style (Was Re: Hopelessly stupid newbie question)

Giovanni JJ Giorgi jj at objectsroot.com
Wed Mar 12 09:04:06 CET 2003

This approach is similat to Zope Page Template (http://www.zope.org)

>[...]
>Please don't dismiss the idea simply because the current implementation is
>in Java. Personally I think it's a neat idea comparing with ASP/JSP/SSP/PHP:
>the content and logic separation is as clean as you can get, you can change
>code and page independent of each other. The major serious downside - it's
>in Java!

I agree...

> * Each time the template pages change, you have to stop the server and
>recompile. The Java classloader does not like dynamic changes of classes.
>Auto-compilation often is broken.

yes, it is my wrost problem in these days ;)

> * To manipulate DOM in Java and recompile the program is a pain. I'd say
>DOM manipulation itself is not that difficult, people do client-side DOM
>manipulation in Javascript all the time.
>
>Of course you need to make sure the tags and attributes are consistent with
>those referenced in the code.
>
>Why am I writing this? I think if we have a WebDAV daemon in Squeak, we have
>a winner here. The WebDAV daemon will be responsible for managing the
>templates, versioning and auto-compilation. We can even check the
>consistence between template and code! I assume there're already DOM
>manipulation classes in Squeak.

Hum....the WebDAV daemon can be integrated with subversion a CVS-like
system.
<http://subversion.tigris.org>
It is very interesting but also a big thing to deal with....we must
define some smaller steps to proceed!!