[Seaside] click images and questionable API

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Mar 20 14:57:44 CET 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Nevin Pratt wrote:

> What if instead of the literal 'Some description of Foo', you instead
> had a description that was built from variables?
>
> In other words, your code seems to suffer from the exact same problem as
> well.

No, I don't think so.  In what I expect would be the usual case, no
concatenation would be needed:

html metaTagWithName: someName content: someContent.

>  Besides, if it was such a big win, why haven't you added
> #metaTags: and #metaTageNamed:content: methods to the renderer already?
<snip>
> I like this.  But why wasn't #imageWithSource:link: in renderer already?
>  For some naive reason, I was expecting existing API to cover this case,
> as I thought it to be a fairly mundane, common case.

The answer to both of these questions is quite simple: in the applications
I (and a few others with commit access) have written with this version of
Seaside, we haven't needed either of those methods yet.  HtmlRenderer is
not all-inclusive, and indeed I don't expect it to ever be - rather, I
expect such methods to be added, as needed, by me or by others (and
hopefully in that case they'll be posted and merged back), as a normal
part of the development process.  And once you think you've gotten them
all, you just need to jump up a level of abstraction and start a whole new
set ;).  For example, I started out using

tableRow: [
  tableData: [...]
  tableData: [...]
]

everywhere, and then refactored most of my usage to slightly more
specialized versions like

tableRowWith: [...] with: [...]

> And even though I bring up these questions, I still rate Seaside as one
> of the best (possibly *the* best) web development framework ever devised.

And by bringing up such questions, you can help to make it better...

Cheers,
Avi