[Seaside] Questions inspired by the tutorial

Frank Sergeant frank at canyon-medical.com
Mon Mar 24 23:42:42 CET 2003

I've been moving slowly, but I am delighted to have finally installed
Seaside (2.21) from Squeak Map (along with ComancheNG and
SeasideSession, etc.) and to have worked through the tutorial.

I have posted a few comments/questions to the user-editable version of
the Seaside2 tutorial at

http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/sea/64

I suppose I'll get my questions answered quickly just by looking through
the archive or the code, but if it turns out that answering the
questions in the tutorial would improve it, then so much the better.

The questions were basically

    How do we stop a session?

    How do we start multiple sessions? (Each with its own login:password
and maybe each with its own root name in place of 'seaside'.)

    The example applications (components) are great, but to run a real
application, I would want to restrict the outside world so it could run
only the one application, not the counter, browser, etc. How do I do
that?

    It was very interesting in the tutorial to find, after working with
the counter component for a while, that the counter was actually
embedded in another component (a frame which provided the browser and
inspector links). Maybe a few words could be said at that point about
how it happened and how we would do it on purpose with our own
components -- or how we could avoid doing it.

-- Frank