[Seaside] Styles and Overiding HtmlBuilder

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Mar 27 14:03:55 CET 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Keith P. Hodges wrote:

> >Some thoughts,
> >
> >best I could come up with on the spur of the moment
> >
> >html use: TableBuilder with: [:table |
> >	table from:  an2DArray
> >]
>
> yes I can see that having different renderer classes for different
> components is worthwhile. My proposal above is a way of adding
> Plugins to the standard WAHtmlRenderer, without subclassing.
> Do you have any comments as to why the idea above may not be the way
> to go, because I am thinking that I kind of like it.

Sorry, I had thought from reading your message that being able to easily
use a particular subclass in a component would satisfy your needs.  What
you're talking about above sounds more like what I would think of as a
View class than a renderer (or renderer plugin), ie, I would be inclined
to do something like

html render: (TableBuilder from: a2DArray)

and then have TableBuilder implement #renderOn:.

(Terminology note: I use "View" to talk about classes implementing
#renderOn: that are created during the render and only last for one
request; views are transient and stateless, components are persistent and
stateful).

But maybe I'm still missing something about what you're proposing?  Can
you give a more extended example?

Avi