User Experience Report (WAS Re: [Seaside] Nearing 2.3)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Mar 27 14:09:12 CET 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Nevin Pratt wrote:

> You mean the web interface to the debugger (via the 'Debug' link)?
>
> Ah, yes.  I also ran into that.  Annoying, but at least it still
> displays the stack, and so lets me know where to place a 'self halt' for
> "normal" debugging.

Yes, although apparently even after placing a "self halt", backtracking
gets messed up to some degree.

I hope to get a chance to look at this later today/tonight.

> I thought the 2.2 pretty-printer was just fine.  In fact, I thought it
> was *better* than many pretty-printers I've used/seen in the past, with
> other products.

Well, ideally the pretty printer wouldn't actually change the meaning of
the HTML, which the 2.2 one could (subtly) do in some cases.  You're
usually only going to have it on during development anyway, however (why
waste the bandwidth on whitespace?), so I agree it's not critical.

> Perhaps "missing" would be a better word.  But, if you try to move the
> old "missing" example from the 2.2 sources, it then would qualify as
> "broken", which also explains why it is "missing" in the 2.3 sources.

Hmm.  What actually I did was bundle up a bunch of examples inside a tab
panel and have it not be loaded by default.  If you add an application
with "WATestTabs" as the entry point, you should see the same examples
back again (I think of those examples more as regression tests for me than
as genuinely useful to users, but obviously they weren't useless if you
missed having them).