[Seaside] anchors behaving like buttons?

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Fri Mar 28 06:49:41 CET 2003

Avi Bryant wrote:

>Forgive me if I'm being dense, but what's the point of all of this?  What
>does this let you do that a simple
>
>html anchorWithAction: [self red] text: ...
>
>doesn't?
>
>Is it so that you can have external links that cause a method to be
>invoked when you first enter the application?

That was originally the primary motivation, and then once I saw I could
do that, I didn't think to look beyond.  Hence, I completely forgot
about #anchorWithAction:text:, even though I had used it before.

However, I think even this use should probably be revisited, because the
original motivation for having external links cause a method to be
invoked was because of the desire to have multiple entry points into an
application (i.e., static URL's).  This would yield bookmarkable URL's,
plus the ability to email a URL to someone that would enter the
application at a known point when they clicked the URL that they were
emailed (in such a case, they would not have a preconfigured bookmark,
nor would they necessarily have ever entered the application before).

But, I suspect the WARegistry stuff could do the same thing.  I'm just
not clear on how to use it that way.  Do you have any pointers or sample
code that more fully explains how to use the WARegistry?

Nevin