[Seaside] CVS code

Brian Brown rbb at techgame.net
Fri Mar 28 14:02:45 CET 2003

On Friday 28 March 2003 01:48 pm, Avi Bryant wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Brian Brown wrote:
> > Ok, I used DVS to file in the seaside/Seaside2.st, I installed Comanche
> > 5.5.1 from SM (before I did the fileIn), and then used WAKom startOn:
> > 9090
>
> I assume you mean Comanche 5.1.1.

Yes.

> > No walkbacks, so far so good... but I get a connection refused when
> > trying to connect to the server... are there any other DVS packages I
> > need to load since I'm doing this from the CVS version? Right now I have
> > DVS, Kom, and Seaside2 listed in the DVS package manager.
>
> No, that should be it.  Are you actually getting a connection refused, or
> just no content in the response?  Comanche has this annoying "standalone
> server" preference which just eats exceptions and returns a 0 byte
> response rather than notifying you that there's an error an any way.
> What's even more annoying (Stephen, are you listening?) is that at
> least in 5.1 it's a) enabled by default, and b) missing from the
> preferences panel so you can't turn it off.

Is there a method or instance variable I could set from within the image that
might turn this off?

Here is what I get from a telnet session:
rbb at tirith:~/Squeak/Webdev/aubergines/seaside> telnet localhost 9090
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

... so it's really NOT a connection refused, it is looking like the problem
you pointed out in the Standalone server setting.

> At any rate, if that is what's going on, I would recommend installing Kom
> 5.0 and turning off that preference, and then trying again.  It's also
> quite likely that ComancheNG handles things better.

So unload 5.1.1 and load 5.0? or can these coexist... I could try NG as well.

> If it's really a connection refused, though, I don't know what to tell
> you.... what does netstat -tan | grep 9090 show?

netstat -tan | grep 9090
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9090            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

Which is what I would think it should show.

Brian