[Seaside] [Q] Images....

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Mar 31 18:10:17 CEST 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Brian Brown wrote:

> Greetings...
>
> What is suggested for images and other types of content that I want my
> components to render? Should I import them into the squeak image or reference
> them via the 'resource' pathing?
>
> What do you do?

It really depends on your workflow constraints.  I like the simplicity of
having the deployment be a single .image file, so loading static content
into the image and using #imageWithForm: is a win.  Treating your content
as objects instead of paths also opens the door to some better abstraction
than you might otherwise bother with - I'm more likely to have good
localization mechanisms, for example, if I can do it by swapping out
dictionaries of Forms and Strings instead of through path manipulations.
However, I can certainly imagine configurations where having an obvious
directory full of .pngs on the server that the design types can mess with
would be a good thing, and locking them up inside the image would be
annoying.  Even then, of course, you just need a button on some web
interface that tells the image to suck in new content from a specified
directory...

Performance might also be a consideration: apache is going to serve up
static content a lot faster than Kom ever will, I imagine.

Avi