[Seaside] VW Port

Lukas Renggli renggli at hotmail.com
Tue May 13 08:12:05 CEST 2003

Hi Avi

>Yes, that HTML generation code does look awfully familiar...

I definitely like that concept of html-generation. But there is also the
idea of callback-blocks that I stole from Seaside. Actually they are
implemented in a very simple way (not even session based), but I prefer that
over request-response handling. Warning: I just discovered some bug in the
callback-mechanism of the version on Cincom StORE.

>How close is it under the hood to what Seaside does?
>Do you have any refinements to the approach that we could steal?

My html-generator is a subclass of WriteStream and it does not generate an
object-tree but writes directly to the stream. But else it is more or less
the same.

What I like to do for Version 2 is to combine the composites of structures,
templates, documents and the html-generation in the actions. So we get a
perfect description of a page that we might render to html, latex, pdf,
flash, etc. Even tough we have a latex-renderer, the combined-composites is
dream of mine right now and it would simplify a lot. But that?s my first
project of such a size and nothing can be perfect on the first attempt ...

>Looks good.  I like the way you do folders (although it seems like a
>folder might want some content of its own as well as children), and the
>plugin stuff looks cool.

Yes, I already discussed that with other people. It would be probably better
to assign a page to every folder that is displayed above the list of
children.

>What do you think of Swazoo?  Anything that would be good to add to either
>Comanche or Seaside?

I think Swazoo is the most stable web-server for VisualWorks. I tryed
several other implementations, but I did not like them because they were too
complex, too slow or not stable enough. What I like about Swazoo is that you
are able to do virtual-hosting and you might attach SmallWiki inside another
Swazoo severd page. So as an example it is easily possible to combine my
wiki with the AIDAWeb.

Btw: I will be at the ESUG conference in Slovenia this summer. Are you or
other Seasiders also coming?

Lukas