[Seaside] VW Port

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue May 13 18:26:01 CEST 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Pennell, David wrote:

> >It probably makes sense to introduce a Seaside-specific way of generating
> IDs anyway, that can be used in both Squeak and VW.
>
> It may be OK to keep using the DST class.  It is included in the DST-Core
> parcel, about 287K.

<shrug> If I can easily eliminate the dependency, I might as well.  I've
been wanting a little more control over those IDs anyway.

> What is a Rosetta exporter?

Rosetta is Joseph Pelrine's system for cross-dialect source code
transfer.  Basically everybody files out to the same ugly XML format, and
there are then a series of even uglier XSLT scripts that transform it into
VW, Dolphin, VAST etc packages.

> This sounds like a good plan.  What do you see as the next step?

Well, what I would like to be able to do eventually is export a file from
Squeak that you can import directly into VW, without having to make any
modifications to the classes and methods in it, but just having to layer
it on top of a compatibility package.  We'll probably have to go through a
few iterations of me sending you a test file and you letting me know what
Squeakisms remain in it, but I think it should be doable.

I'll try to get a first pass at such a file to you by the weekend, anyway.
If you have time, it would be useful to have a complete list of which
Seaside classes you actually needed to change...