[Seaside] I18N support

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Nov 3 00:32:42 CET 2003

On Nov 1, 2003, at 11:57 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:

>  I want to treat every incoming form data as
> UTF-8, store everything (all text properties) as Unicode and encode
> the outgoing HTML and XML data as UTF-8.

This isn't something we've given enough thought to yet.  A few random
comments:

It seems to me that if all of the input to your application (databases,
form data, XML files, whatever) is in UTF-8, then all of the output
will also be in UTF-8, whether or not Squeak directly supports it.

The exception here is Squeak source code, which is MacRoman.  I believe
Göran posted some code a bit ago that converted between Squeak's
encoding and UTF-8; you would need to send the right conversion message
to any string literal with non-ASCII characters in it that you intend
to output.  Does anyone have a link to that changeset?

You'd also need to do those conversions if you were using Squeak to
actually process the textual data... just convert it to MacRoman
immediately before processing and back to UTF-8 immediately after.
Maybe there should be a #utf8ToSqueakDo: that handles this:

someStringUppercase := someString utf8ToSqueakDo: [:s | s asUppercase]

Avi